Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ski School Graduation!

Yesterday was the last day of ski school for the kids! Aidan really progressed and was whizzing down the practice slope without any problems. His group was supposed to try the blue run, but they never made it. I think he could have managed it if given the chance. But, he successfully passed the "Blue Prince/Princess" Excellent level! He would have been a "Blue King" if they'd done the blue run. Hopefully, he can accomplish that at Murren when we go in March.

Lainey tried the big practice slope, but she wasn't quite ready. She managed the T-bar without any problem, but wasn't willing to let go of the instructor to ski down on her own. We'll keep working on stopping and turning, then she'll be ready! She also passed "Blue Princess" though, but at a "good" level, instead of "excellent". That was a big deal because I figured she'd only pass a "Green Swiss Snow Kids" level!

Here is the website for info and a list of skills needed: www.snowsports.ch.
Blue Prince/Princess
1. Climbing by side stepping and scissor stepping up a gentle slope.
2. Skiing with skis parallel in fall line and step turning uphill to stop.
3. Gliding and breaking with snow plow manuever.
4. Making snow plow turns.

Blue King/Queen
1. Safe use of T-bars
2. Traversing slope and side slipping
3. Snow plow turns
4. Safe skiing on blue runs

I also made a massive accomplishment! I skied my first red run! It was really steep and narrow, but with a little help from accomplished skier friends I did it! Here is a picture of me on the slope! It's hard to tell how steep it is in the pic, but believe me, it wasn't an "easy" red!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

WAY TO GO Christine!!

And it DOES look steep - my stomach was knotting just looking at it. Its the "narrow" part that freaks me out though. LOL