Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lainey Skis!

Today, Jason and the kids and I went to a small "family-friendly" ski area called Atzmannig. The snow was pretty weak considering it was almost 10 degrees (almost 50 in Fahrenheit), but there was just enough to ski on.

We signed Lainey up for a lesson, but kept Aidan with us. He's so good on skis now! He was easily navigating the blue run-his first official (non-training/nursery) slope! No problems, no fear. He's going to rock this weekend in Murren.

As we were skiing down one time, I looked for Lainey in her lesson. She was laying on the snow, not near the other kids or instructors in the kids's area. I'm pretty sure she was making snow angels. Ugh. Why do I keep throwing money into these kids' areas for her?? So I went down and took her out of the lesson. The instructor said that she was happy and smiling, but tired and needed a lot of help going up the slope so maybe a private lesson would be better. Duh, but private lessons cost 5 times as much. Anyway, I know why she's tired...she spends 10 minutes walking sideways up the slope (no lift) for 2 seconds of skiing down. She's little, it's hard work, it's not fun to go uphill, it's the down part that is fun!

So, I took her myself on the practice lift. The practice hill there was very wide and pretty flat so I figured I could help her. But, like Aidan at Rigi, she needed no help. She was so happy going up the lift. She told me she felt like she was in a race and giggled the whole way up. When we got to the top, she fell at first getting off the button lift but when I picked her up and reminded her how to slow down and turn she was fine! We must have done that hill 10 times! She didn't need me at all going down, just for the button lift (which goes between your legs and you need to be kind of strong). She only fell a few times, but each time she was laughing and popped herself right back up and kept going. I'm so proud of her!

Now, I really feel bad about not pushing the instructors in these lessons more. The poor kid was getting tired doing all the hard work of skiing and not having any of the fun. I'm so glad I took her out of that lesson. Her smiles and giggles were so genuine and priceless.

I think with 5 days of skiing and a few private lessons this weekend both kids will be flying! Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn better watch out. Team Barnett may be representing in 2026 Olympics!

No comments: