Friday, April 15, 2011

Introducing Cinnamon!

The empty hole in our hearts left by Maddy's passing, I hope is beginning to fill!  Please meet the newest little Barnett: Cinnamon!

Finally, she has a name!
After looking around for 4 months, visiting shelters, seeing a few puppies from private owners, calling breeders, getting one sold out from under me, and other assorted issues with buying a dog in a foreign country, this week we found our new best friend.  She came to us by way of some online searching and a small leap of faith.  We bought her without seeing her mother, and trusting the seller's information because we were afraid to lose another one by waiting too long.  She looked healthy and was sure playful and good with kids and adults.  She came when the previous owner called and didn't run away from anyone.  As Jason put it, it was a bit of a gamble, but we'd take her to the vet right away and have her checked out.  Luckily, she is fit as a fiddle!  She is now the proud owner of a few more vaccinations, a microchip, and an EU Passport. 

She is really a good puppy so far.  She's just 8 weeks old, but has a pretty good idea of where to go potty.  We've only had a few minor accidents in 3 days.  She loves to play with toys and has gotten the hang of fetch and dropping.  She stays really close when walking, and walks well without a leash. She LOVES to cuddle and is napping on my lap as I type right now.  Needless to say the kids love her, and I have to warn Lainey to be gentle with her. 


 On Thursday, Lainey stayed home sick with a cold.  She and Cinnamon had some good bonding time over Cinderella and Barbie movies.
I've been crate training her, and she's doing pretty well.  The first 2 nights she slept through with no problem, last night she was a bit whiny in her crate.  I take her with me in the car and she LOVES the car (unlike poor Maddy).  She sits on the seat next to me and falls asleep or chews her bone.  If I have to leave her I bring the crate, but being Europe, I can bring her inside more places, which is kind of fun!

Napping in her crate.  We got a cool portable one that folds, kind of like a Pack and Play!

After a trip to the vet today, Cinnamon, Lainey, Aidan, and I met Jason in Wiesbaden for dinner.  Sleepy puppy just slept through the whole meal! 

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

She is really adorable! I think European dogs are simply bred to be better dogs, LOL~!

Christine said...

Here's hoping! Her first 2 calm quiet sleep-all-night nights were a fluke! The last 2 nights she has whined in her crate. It's like having a newborn again...I hope she gets used to the crate ASAP!