Leaving Maddy behind when we moved to CH was really hard on all of us, but especially on Aidan. He was old enough to understand missing her and remember her clearly. Each time we visited her when we were back in MI, he would cry and get upset all over again. We told him when we moved back to the US we could get another dog, and he longed for the day we could move back.
Then we moved to Germany instead. Here, we have a house with a garden. He started asking about a dog here. We hemmed, we hawed, and then we figured it was a good time for a new family member. In January, I started looking for potential pooches. Not an easy job in a foreign country where I'm conducting interviews over the phone in Deutsch! After a while, I sensed Aidan's interest in a dog waning. I began to wonder if I thought he wanted a dog more than he really did.
I know see it was just his way of protecting himself if we didn't find one. He is over the moon in love with our Cinnamon!
He is the one who came up with her name, in fact. He is proving to be such a responsible boy with her. He works on training her, takes her out to potty, doesn't mind cleaning up accidents, has learned how to discipline and reward her. It is so heart-warming to see what a great kid we've raised! He is so empathetic, too. The first time we put her in her crate, she whined -a lot. Aidan started crying too, because he felt so bad for her! Now he understands it's for her own good to be crate trained and he likes to be the one to take her out when it is morning or we return home.
Even though puppyhood is a lot like having a newborn, I think the kids will get a lot out of having a dog. Aidan especially, considering his age. He is just the right age to learn to take care of something or someone other than himself. He's learning to be responsible, to think of others, and to do important work. And, in return he gets the love of an unbelievably cute and cuddly puppy.
I do think every boy needs a dog at some point in his life.
Quest To Make It Through The Holidays
8 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment