In the past year, both kids were diagnosed with asthma. Then, the doctor wanted me to be tested, too since there is a strong connection between maternal/child asthma. So, I got tested and found out I also have asthma, and not just a mild version like the kids! To use one of my favorite BBC words- I was gobsmacked! (I just love British expressions! I'm going to start using them in everyday speech just to humor myself)
How did I not realize I had asthma all these years? Then it occured to me that I've never had much endurance in sports and I do cough a lot. So I guess that's asthma-not the wheezing and inability to breathe that I once thought it was. The doctor gave the kids and I daily inhalers which should help over time. Wait and see if you feel better and cough less he said.
I have NEVER liked running. I've always said it's pointless unless someone was chasing me with a knife. I've made all sorts of excuses to avoid running. But, I know it's one of the best forms of exercise. Last year, I forced myself to run a 5K. I trained for weeks to do this silly little race and hated every stinking minute of it. I finished it (barely and painfully), then refused to run again because I hated it so much. But today, at the gym, I ran on the treadmill because I was late for the class I wanted to do.
I thought to myself "I'll just do 20 minutes and see how much of it I can jog". At the 17 minute mark, I realized I wasn't even breathing hard. I kept running because I could. After a bit longer, I realized I could make it 5 K's, so I kept going. I wasn't breathless or miserable or tired at all! In fact, I actually thought the machine might be broken-it wasn't possible I'd been on that long! But sure enough, I ran the entire 5K! I could've even kept going, but decided that was enough for the first time running in almost a year. I am so proud of myself! I think the medication has really improved my endurance!
Maybe all these years I wasn't just lazy and/or out of shape...I just had asthma!
Maybe I'll end up liking running now. (Or, at least not hate it with every ounce of my being!)
Quest To Make It Through The Holidays
8 months ago
1 comment:
I must have running induced asthma too.
Post a Comment