- 1. About only teaching 1.5 hours in one day: So, yes the actual classroom teacher would onlz have contact with her students for a short period of time that one day each week. But, the kids aren't just sitting in some room watching TV and she's not twiddling her thumbs. There are multiple special classes the kids are going to: PE, music, art, pottery, maths enrichment, library...or working in their classroom garden outside, or having a German lesson. While the kids are learning these things, the classroom teacher is giving time along with her colleagues at grade level to plan for the future units. They are encouraged to collaborate and plan together. The school gives them time during the day to do this, not just a short break here and there, and at the same time. This is something we've always wished for in PCCS.
- As for the kids' education: Personally, I think all the "specials" classes are fantastic for the kids. I have always been a proponent of teaching young kids a second language. I wanted to minor in French but my MSU advisor wouldn't approve it. She said, I'd never be able to teach a foreign language in elementary school. I think this is such a disservice to children. It is SO much harder to learn another language later in life, believe me! It's taken me 1.5 years of lessons to just pass into a basic conversational level of German. Not to mention, that having PE twice a week promotes a healthy lifestyle, and exposure to art/pottery/music has all sorts of benefits. And, the garden. At one of the schools I taught at, one of the teachers started a garden. It's such a great learning opportunity. While studying plants, you can really study plants. The kids take ownership for caring for something (other than just themselves), and they learn about life cycles, animal habitats, weather, etc.
So, yes, I am a huge fan of what I see going on at this school from the teacher and parent perspective. I definitely think US public schools are lacking in some ways, but at least I think that where they lack has potential for improvement. I do think our schools are more "child centered" than what I've heard of UK or Swiss public schools, but there is room to grow. And, I don't think it would take tons of extra funding to make some of these things happen. OK, class size is probably the most important factor and yes, that would require a lot of money, but I think that maybe there is money somewhere in the government coffers being squandered on pointless things that could be reallocated if the government really valued children. It makes me SO mad when the first cuts always seem to come from education.
That's my 2 cents and even a few more...
No comments:
Post a Comment