Aidan can ride a 2-wheeler! For a while, I thought this day would never come. He's been quite content on his scooter. He'd ride his bike occasionally, but with training wheels and just around the house. He didn't have any interest in learning especially since he's the type of kid who, if he can't do something easily and right away, he'd rather not keep trying. We've been working on the whole "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again" attitude. I was determined to have him up on 2 wheels by the end of this summer. Some of his friends were riding last summer, and I was determined, even if he wasn't!
We'd been practicing on the paths outside our apartment, but they are kind of hilly and curvy so not the best place to learn. So yesterday, I decided to take him up to his school playground where they have a huge flat play area that is covered with rubber turf-like stuff. It's flat like cement, but it wouldn't hurt if he fell. Aidan was very resistant to trying, but (again, being a pushy mom) I made him try.
I couldn't believe it! Within minutes he was riding! Lesson 1: As long as I held him to start, he could go straight for almost the length of the field (and me with no memory card in my camera! Ugh.). After a few minutes of practice, we moved onto Lesson 2: Turning without falling. That took a bit longer, but still less than a half hour! Then we took a break to play on the playground. Finally, we attempted Lesson 3: Starting off on his own. This is still the toughest part, but he was doing it!
In less than 1 1/2 hours, Aidan went from reluctant non-rider to full-fledged racer!
Since I'd forgotten my memory card for the rides at school, here's a video of Aidan showing Daddy his new skill in our parking garage last night:
I believe my work here is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment