Thursday, June 25, 2009

Aidan's Kind of Birthday

I had Aidan's kid birthday party on Monday. Most of his friends would be gone all July (most people go back to their home country or travel all month from his school), so no one was available to come to a party near his real birthday. So we did it on June 22, instead of July 22.

When I was home at Christmas, I bought all his party supplies at Target (God, I miss Target!). That was good because I only decided the week before to have this party! Not much time to plan. I had planned all these fun games: scooter races, a stolen car hunt, grilling hot dogs out in the woods, red light/green light. Unfortunately, a cold snap came through Switzerland on Sunday and brought lots of rain. LOTS and LOTS. And COLD.

So I spent all day Sunday, re-planning the party. Have I mentioned how small our apartment is? I had 11 kids to entertain, now inside my little apartment. FABULOUS. I quickly hired my 7th grade neighbor to help with crowd control at the party and devised some new games. Instead of the outdoor games, we did pin the license plate on the car, did a craft, and played the British game Pass the Parcel (which is a fabulous game I'll explain to anyone who cares). I grilled the dogs on our gas grill at home and all was fine.

Aidan was very happy with the party and I was very happy when 6 o'clock rolled around and all the kids went home. I am definitely a proponent of paying to have parties somewhere other than my house. (I just couldn't do that in a week's notice)! Next year, we're going somewhere! My masterpiece! Yes, I did make this cake!
Our guests

Birthday Boy!
Best present were 2 Super Soaker water guns. They've already gotten some use of them!



No comments: