Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Mount Everest

I did it!  I ran a 10K race this weekend! 

This may not be much to some people, but to me this is like climbing Mt. Everest.  I was never a runner.  I only took it up 2 summers ago.  I enjoy running, but I don't love it.  I still don't consider myself a runner, but at least I've proven something to myself.  When Jason and I were first married, we made a "Life's To Do" list of all the things we'd like to accomplish in our lives.  One of mine was run a 10K.  When I wrote it, I never really thought I'd do it!  But, after being diagnosed with asthma a few years ago, I realized I could do it! 

My friend Monica and I decided we'd do one together.  We began training a few months ago, and were planning to run a nice flat 10K near Amsterdam.  But, her husband had to go out of town and her mom was in town this weekend, so we cancelled our Amsterdam plans and chose to do a race sponsored by our school. 

This race was NOT FLAT!!!  If we had known how uphill this whole trail would be, and how it would be raining during the race, and how the trail through the forest would be covered in huge rocks, I think we'd have bailed.  But, it was too late when we realized all of this.  Here we are blissfully unaware of what the trail and weather would be like:


Lainey and Aidan were our cheerleaders!

We soon realized this was a seriously uphill battle.  After the first 5K below, we were swearing up a storm, but still running strong!

 It was in the middle of the 7th kilometer that it started pouring.  As if uphill and rocky wasn't enough.  But, I think it made us run faster!  We completed the whole race in 1 hour 44 seconds!  That is way below our goal time of 1 hour 5 mins and that was when we were planning on a flat course!  I am so proud of us both!
Here we are, wet and grimy, but happy to be done!  Now we are trying to talk ourselves into the Detroit Half-Marathon in 2012 when Monica returns to Detroit too.  Hmmm....wonder if I can stay on the running wagon once I'm working full time? At least I'm able to cross something off my Bucket List!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Congrats Christine!!! That is incredible!