Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Provence...in Detail: Cassis and Marseille

We spent a warmish day in Cassis, a lovely town on the Mediterranean Sea between Marseille and Cannes. The sun was shining in the promised Provençal style and we even were able to take a boat ride! Here we are in the town and on the rocky beach. It didn't matter that it was too cold to swim. Everyone still at least stuck their toes in and played on the beach.
We took a 45 minute boat ride to the calanques, which are gorgeous coves. The ride would have been fantastic if it were 20 degrees warmer and less windy. The kids all really loved it, in spite of the weather!

Here I am before turning as green as my shirt. The boys however, declared it to be "the best boat ride EVER!"

Our friends, the O'Briens, and the rest of my family enjoyed the ride. Only I got a bit seasick. Typical.
We left Cassis mid-day and took a scenic drive well above the sea along some rocky cliffs. We had amazing views of the sea and surroundings. As soon as I can get pics up on Facebook, this one will be my new profile pic!

We headed into Marseille for dinner. I was on the hunt for boulliabaise but didn't want to pay top dollar. We visited little North Africa where I bought my tagine and then we ended up here for dinner.
Not exactly what I envisioned when I dreamed of Provence. Oh well, Lainey sure loved the ribs!






1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh - is that grill the one right across the street from the train station?? I think we ate there too! LOL. If not, I definitely saw it in our walks that day.