We survived our first round of ski lessons!
The kids' school sponsors ski lessons for a 5 week period at Hoch Ybrig ski resort about an hour away from Zurich. Aidan gets dropped off at the meeting point at 9:30am and skis all day. He even has lunch with the ski group. We pick him up at 3. Long day, but he's going to learn a lot and he really had fun despite the cold (around 15 degrees Fahrenheit). Yesterday, he didn't make it out of the kid area, but hopefully next week he'll advance to a T-bar bunny hill.
We didn't think Delainey would be able to ski due to her broken foot, but Thursday and Friday she was walking fine so we decided to see how she'd do. She said her boot felt fine, so we put her in the morning session of her lesson telling the instructor to call us if there was any problem. There wasn't. She was fine and had a blast with her friends. When we picked her up for lunch, she was tired but looking forward to going back for the afternoon session. She went on the "magic carpet" and skied down a tiny slope. I'm sure she'll be skiing circles around me by the end of the 5 weeks. (Evidence to support my theory: 2 of the girls from her class at school took lessons last year so they aren't in her group. They are in a group that is already on the T-bar and they were whizzing down the slope, slaloming past Jason and me. Did I mention they aren't even 4 years old yet!!??)
Jason and I practiced on the T-bar bunny slope with our friend Sam in the morning. We did pretty well and managed not to take out any kids in the process! Slowly and steadily we made it down 5 times. I was so worried about falling down and looking like a fool or hurting a child. I really want to learn and was a little nervous. Jason kept telling me to relax, but I have a little trouble with that concept.
After lunch, we paid for a lesson and our instructor took us up a blue hill! Our first REAL run! We did OK. Sam ran in to me and knocked me down once and I had a little incident with the T-bar not letting me get off (thank goodness I had on a helmet). Jason fell a few times and had trouble turning. Over all, we did pretty good for beginners!
By the time we drove home, we were knackered (my new favorite Brit word for really tired). By the time dinner and baths were done, my muscles were screaming. I layed down on the couch and could feel every muscle in my shoulders, back, and legs. Apparently, between being tense and nervous and falling twice (oh and skiing) I worked every muscle I have. I fell asleep on the couch at 8:30. Jason made me go to bed at 9, but he had to help me walk there. I hurt everywhere. I felt like I was the starting QB for an NFL team who got sacked 7 times and wasn't wearing pads.
We all slept until 8 this morning. I am still sore, but not as bad thanks to a really long hot shower. The others are fine. Not a sore muscle among them. My crazy husband even went for a 12K run this morning. I think I need to figuratively and literally loosen up a bit!
Quest To Make It Through The Holidays
8 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment