Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Still Proud to be a Spartan

Jason and I set our alarm for 3am to get up and cheer on our Sparties who were playing for the National Championship at 9pm Eastern time. We had our MSU gear on and were drinking (water-not awake enough for beer!) from our MSU cups. We were underdogs, but we had a chance: Playing only 90 miles from home, being on a high from knocking off 2 other top seeds, 60,000 fans in green and white (vs. only 10,000 in baby blue), and our players all healthy (enough) and ready to make history! But, sadly, it wasn't enough.

It was a pretty rough game to watch. North Carolina came out on fire, and MSU just couldn't make baskets or defend NC. We were down by over 20 at half-time. Jason and I were wondering why we bothered to wake up! But, MSU is a second-half team. They did play better in the second-half, but NC was just up by too many for the boys in green to make a real come back. They all played really hard (poor Raymar Morgan who was playing with a broken nose, got an elbow to the nose and kept on playing-now that's HEART!) but NC was the bigger and stronger team. All the "breaks" went their way, too. I guess God didn't get our hint with the flag on the top of the mountain this weekend!

I'm still proud to be a Spartan! I love the excitement of being connected to a university and the comraderie of alumni. Throughout the game, we were getting phone calls, texts, and messages on Facebook. It was almost like watching the game with friends. Our friends and family are spread all over the world- we're in Switzerland, Erin in Chicago, Rick and Laura in Texas, Heather in Florida, Cooney in North Carolina, and my Gamma Phi sister all the way in Hong Kong-but thanks to technology we were all able to connect during the game.

So, thanks Izzo and the boys for giving us a reason to stay in touch with old friends. We'll all be rooting for you to come back strong next year. And, I can't wait to see Izzo's shaved head!

SPARTY ON!

No comments: