Thursday, March 26, 2009

Skiing in Chamonix

Chris, Missy and the kids with a Swiss cow at the train station
Having a bratwurst and drinking prosecco


Missy and Chris came into Zurich to visit us last week. We took them around Zurich, introduced them to the Swiss experience of bratwurst and prosecco. We also did a quick day trip to Luzern. But the highlight of their visit was going to Chamonix for 3 days skiing.
Missy, Jason, the kids and I all took lessons. Chris and his family are experts. They ski double black diamonds and go off trails with a guide and wear avalanche radar detectors. CRAZY! We stuck to beginner lessons.
The kids went to "club enfants"-a ski school and nursery-2 half days. They were taught the basics of skiing and they even went down a very slightly sloped hill a few times. They played in the center and had lunch there. Lainey made friends with a little French girl. The teacher said Lainey and her friend talked to each other non-stop...one in English and one in French! I asked Lainey what they talked about...she said "Mom, we just talked." I guess she's not one to let a language barrier get in her way! They both had a lot of fun. We'll definitely keep up lessons for them next winter. Aidan's school even offers ski lessons on weekends!
Jason, Missy and I did well too! We had 2 mornings of lessons and by the end of the second day, we were able to go down from the top of a green (easy) mountain without stopping or falling! It was a lot of fun, but weather the second day wasn't so great. It had snowed a ton overnight and kept snowing in the morning. For our last run, it was like zero-visibility skiing! Monday was perfectly sunny and warm. Even I was hot!
The best part of ski trips, we were told, is the apres-ski parties. After skiing, everyone meets at a really nice restaurant with an amazing view and shares stories and eats and drinks. We went to an amazing restaurant on top of a mountain. We had an amazing view of Mt. Blanc from our table.
The kids really got into the "ski-spirit"! They can't wait to go again! I overheard Aidan telling his friends at school yesterday all about the trip. He is so proud of himself. He tends to be cautious and nervous trying new things, so this was a big deal for him. I even had a blast, and I overall hate winter and cold weather. Maybe there's hope for me after all! Lainey heading down the slope!

Atop Brevant, overlooking Mt. Blanc
The kids in their ski gear.
The 3 beginners!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Do you ever stop and just wonder what the heck is this crazy fantastic life I am living right now? I would be all the time. I am so glad that you and your family get to experience all of these great things about Europe. The culture there just amazing. I wish I was there. I am kinda EuroTrash though (the nickname my college friends gave me when I backpacked through Europe after college).

Christine said...

EVERY DAY. I cannot believe how lucky and blessed we are. Come visit any time!

Erin said...

Love that Aidan is wearing his MSU fleece! :)